Our History

Essential

Cantenac Brown - Notre histoire 01Cantenac Brown - Notre histoire 02Cantenac Brown - Notre histoire 03

John-Lewis Brown (1769-1851) acquired the estate in the early 19th century and decided to build in the village of Cantenac, a Tudor style chateau reminiscent of his Scottish origins.
The building is one of the most unusual in Médoc region and is surrounded by a remarkable English-style ground.

The quality of the wine was acknowledged in the 1855 classification, when Château Cantenac Brown was included into the growths.

The Bordeaux winemerchant and owner of several estates in Médoc, Louis Armande Lalande (1820-1894), extended the building, keeping the same architecture.

One hundred fifty years later, the Simon Halabi family has given a new impetus to this estate with a British atmosphere

…which they are determined to raise to the very highest level.
José Sanfins presently manages Château Cantenac-Brown. He does his utmost to make the best of the magnificent terroir, lavishing the greatest of care on the soil and the vines, with great respect for the environment. This meticulous attention to detail continues into the cellar, where everything possible is done to produce an exceptional wine.